Turning your writing hobby into a successful career can be an overwhelming process. A lot of work goes into becoming a writer and publishing a book.
Before you can publish a book, you must write one. Writing a book takes time, dedication, and good habits. Here are a few tips to help you get the process started.
- Set goals. Procrastination is the enemy. Many potential writers put off writing their book so much that it doesn’t get written. By setting word count goals, you’ll be able to hold yourself accountable.
- Good time management. While setting goals is a good practice, you also need to set aside time to achieve those goals. Doing so is a must.
- Find your writing style. There’s no one correct way to write. Some people are planners, some don’t plan anything and just let the writing flow, while others are somewhere in-between. Finding your writing style will make the process more interesting for you. Don’t get hung up on how others write.
Becoming an author
To become an author you must complete and publish a literary work. A literary work can be a book, a short story, a poem, or a screenplay. The problem for most is getting the information from their brain to the page.
If you’ve known from an early age that you wanted to be an author, then pursuing a degree in the field you plan to write about will be very beneficial. Common degrees for authors include:
- Creative writing
- Liberal Arts
However, you certainly don’t need a degree to become an author. Self-publishing sites have made the road to becoming an author much easier.
Becoming a better writer
Anyone can write but becoming an exceptional writer takes skill. Here are a few tips to help fine-tune your writing skills.
- Invest in a writing course. While a degree is necessary, taking a master writing class can help you brush up on the basics.
- View writing as your full-time job. Get into the mindset that writing is now your full-time job, not just a hobby.
- Read a lot. Reading other successful works will help you see what makes a literary piece good.
The Writing Process
Writer’s block is a common problem that plagues even the best writers and authors. Here are some helpful tips to help you begin the writing process.
- Find a writing partner. Find someone you can bounce ideas off who can also give you feedback.
- Dissect your favorite literary works. Determine why these works are successful. Define the elements of successful works and apply them to your writing.
- Brainstorm. Write down ideas and create a portfolio.
- Outline. Transfer your ideas to an outline. Then begin filling in the details.
Publishing with Palmetto Publishing Group
Palmetto Publishing Group has knowledgeable, experienced staff members available to assist you in every aspect of self-publishing your book. When you use our services, you’ll retain 100% control of your work and keep all of your royalties.
For more information, schedule a time to chat with one of our friendly professionals.