How To Find Your Audience: Book Marketing in 2021
Marketing your book in 2021 is very different from marketing in the past. In the past, you might have depended on a publisher to market and promote your book.
These days, more and more people are discovering the benefits of self-publishing. With self-publishing comes self-marketing.
Marketing your book
Self-publishing a book requires more work than just writing the book. When you self-publish, you are the writer and the marketing team.
Additionally, even if you use a traditional publisher, the bulk of the marketing efforts may still fall on you.
Thankfully, there are many tools available for you to utilize that make self-marketing easier. While some tools may be pricey, many are available at little to no cost. Here at Palmetto Publishing, we help our clients get it in front of the masses using a variety of approaches.
How to market a book
Before you begin marketing your book, take some time to research your audience. will help you choose appropriate online book marketing strategies such as:
- Social Media: Social media platforms are popping up and growing very quickly. It is important to research your audience before creating social media accounts for your book. Different age groups prefer different social media platforms.
- Blog posts: Marketing through a blog can be done in a variety of ways. You can start a blog, write guest posts for other blogs, or be interviewed for other blogs. If your blog does not have a large following, you can increase awareness for your book by reaching out to sites that do.
- Podcasts: Similar to blogs, you can begin a podcast or give interviews for other podcasts.
- YouTube: Creating a YouTube channel is a great way to offer sample readings of your book and answer reader questions. YouTube channels are free and easy to make. You can also link the videos to all of your other social media accounts.
You may also decide to use paid advertising.
How much does it cost to market a book?
You’ve probably heard the phrase “You have to spend money to make money.” While this may be true, it’s important to set a budget so you don’t spend more than you’ll make in the long run.
Costs for promoting your book through paid advertising can accumulate quickly. It’s not uncommon to spend $4,000 or more. Popular services include:
- Facebook and Instagram Ads
- Google Adwords
- Professional Marketing Services
Finding Your Audience
Before you begin writing your book you should have an audience in mind. As you brainstorm and create your concept, make sure it relates to the audience you want to target.
Your target audience will determine what platforms and methods on which to focus your marketing. For example, younger audiences tend to prefer Instagram while older audiences prefer Facebook.
Book Marketing Services
Book marketing services are commonly offered through self-publishing companies. Most of these companies offer different packages that range in pricing.
When choosing a marketing service, make sure they provide strategies that will market to your target audience.
Palmetto Publishing Group is a top-rated self-publishing company. We offer marketing strategies that are shared across multiple platforms. Schedule a time to chat with one of our experienced professionals to learn more about our services.